Wednesday 26 September 2012

Edward Caffyn

The last will and testament of Edward Caffyn - written 1707 and proved in 1715.
West Sussex Record Office MF976
Unfortunately not an easy document to read with lots of bleed through.


In the Name of God Amen the Second Day of June
in the sixth year of the reign of our sovereign Lady Anne by the grace of
God of Great Britain France & Ireland Queen Defender of the faith Anno
Domino 1707.  I Edward Caffyn of the parish of Horsham in the county of
Sussex weaver being weak in body yet of sound and perfect memory thanks
be given to Almighty God for the same and knowing the uncertainty of this
life here on earth and being desirous to sett things in order doo make this
my last will and testament in manner and form following (that is to say) first
and principally I commend and commit my soul  to Almighty God my creator
assuredly believing that I shall receive full pardon and full remission of my
sins and be saved by…….means of my blessed Saviour and
redeemer Christ Jesus and my body to the earth from whence it was
taken to be decently buried in such Christian manner as to my Executrix
hereafter named shall be thought meet and convenient out of my goods and
stores hereby and hereafter to her Trust remitted and as  touching such
worldly estate as the Lord in mercy hath bless me my will and meaning is that
the same shall be employed and bestowed as this my last Will and Testament
hereafter is expressed.  And first I do revoke ……. and make void all
former Wills made by me and declare and appoint this my last Will and
Testament Impris I give and bequeath unto Sarah Caffyn my daughter
the sum of £10 of good and lawful money of England to be paid
unto her within 2 years after my decease by my executrix hereafter
named.  Item I give and bequeath unto James Caffyn my son my two
looms and of the other materials which belong to the weaving trade
or calling and all my wearing apparel to be delivered unto him within
one month after my decease by my executrix hereafter named  All which
said several legacies given as aforesaid my Will and meaning is shall be
paid by my executrix as aforesaid All the rest of my goods cattle chattels
and house and shop  and ……side whatsoever belonging thereunto in the parish
and county above said called by the name of Swaines after my debts legacies
and funeral expenses are paid and discharged I give and bequeath unto Jane my
loving and well deserving Wife and for her dispose  to sell or give whom I name
whole and sole executrix of this my last Will and Testament   In witness
whereof the said Edward Caffyn the testator have hereunto sett my
hand and seal the day and year first above written 1707.  Edward
Caffyn his marke.  Signed sealed and declared as his last Will and Testament
in the presence of the …………before the………  hereof
John Herriott, Richard Dendy and John Knight.

No comments:

Post a Comment